Tuesday 15 November 2011

Desert Wheatear

First thing this morning in dull misty conditions I went to Dengemarsh Gully looking for a rare Wheatear, all I found was a Skylark. On Dengemarsh 2 Great White Egrets and Bittern along with 2 Marsh Harriers were flying around disturbed by work going on there. Next stop the Fishing Boats. As I got out of the car I received a call from DW telling me that a Desert Wheatear was around the Observatory, minutes later I was watching this splendid bird even with a dodgy tail. It was fairly mobile, ranging from The Moat where Will first found it, to the Railway Station and to the Research Station in front of the old lighthouse. Sometimes it came right up to observers allowing excellent views and photo opportunities.
On the ARC this afternoon one of the Great White Egrets, 10+ Goldeneye, 1 Avocet and 2 Water Rail calling.
On the way home another Great White Egret was on the Military Canal behind the Wyevale Garden Centre at Hamstreet.








2 comments:

  1. Great shots Martin, looks like it was using the train to be so mobile.!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great set of pics, shame I had to work too!

    ReplyDelete