Friday 23 July 2021

23/07/2021

AJG did an early morning sea watch and kindly sent me his sightings.
05.30-07.30
Common Scoter: 17E
Gannet: 16E
Cormorant: present n/c
Oystercatcher: 3E
Mediterranean  Gull: 36E
Sandwich Tern: 17E
Common Tern:  24E
Yellow Wagtail: 1E
Grey Seal: 1
Juvenile Black Redstart  on the perimeter fence
As I was chatting to JTM by the red and white gates at about 08.30 we heard a whirring of wings just overhead like a game bird, by the time I/we got a view of the bird it seemed to disappear into the Gorse at West Beach, we can only think that it was a Quail, despite looking we could not refind it. 
Grey Seal close in shore 
Meadow Pipit still feeding young in the Power Station this morning
The Screen Hide now open, but with the rest of back removed, so in todays force 6 NE wind as soon as I opened a flap the wind just blasted in my face making viewing very uncomfortable and difficult, it was easier and better viewing to stand on the bank, I would imagine that wind speed any more than a zephyr from any direction  will be uncomfortable.
I went to Dennis's Hide this afternoon, as I walked I was assaulted by the wind roaring through all the open flaps, my first thought was that the RSPB had fixed them all open, but I guess they had just been left open by visitors, while closing them I heard a rustle behind me, on turning found I saw an adult Herring Gull crawling under the seats on its side. I was able to catch it easily getting the usual scars from its powerful beak, once I had it under control I could it had swallowed a fishing hook, the line and more fishing hooks were wrapped tightly around its leg and body. I took it to the VC where a member of staff cut the line with scissors off its leg while I held the bird, unfortunately we could only cut the line just inside its beak leaving the hook presumably in its gut, but at least it could now walk, I took it to the lake and released onto the water where it shook its self and flew off, probably to die but maybe it can survive with hook inside it.
The only notable bird I saw was a Common Sandpiper on the Tern Raft, a Greenshank was seen on the hay fields this morning by PT.
Palpita vitrealis was last nights highlight in the MV 
A pristine Delicate 

No comments:

Post a Comment