Friday, 4 September 2026

04/09/2026

First thing this morning another visit to Jurys Gap wasn't the best choice, I located the Golden Plover flock easily enough, but due to the very strong wind they were all hunkered down in ruts or behind the sparse vegetation and quite distant, despite multiple scans of the flock I was unable to pick out anything different.
After a late breakfast I visited the ARC Hanson hide arriving just before a fast moving rain storm started. As the rain cleareda message came through that Tom had spotted a Grey Phalarope feeding off the fishing boats, I was soon there and after short wait I spotted it albeit quite distantly making a short a flight, which it another 6 times before it disappeared, not the most satisfying of views but i'll take it. While I was there a Balearic Shearwater made a fairly close flyby and 2 Caspian Gulls were on the beach. Another visit to the fishing boats early-mid afternoon saw very little of note.
Juvenile/1w Caspian Gulls at the fishing boats late morning
Mid afternoon at Burrowes saw at least 8 Black Terns and the White-winged Black Tern, a juvenile Little Gull, a Little Stint, 4 Ruff, 2 Greenshank, a Wood Sandpiper and several Common Sandpipers.
Over the road at the southern end of the ARC another juvenile Little Gull was showing quite well among at least 4 Black Terns.
Juvenile Little Gull at the ARC late afternoon
Juvenile Little Gull at the ARC late afternoon
Adult Black tern at the ARC late afternoon
Juvenile White-winged Black Tern in front of Firth mid afternoon


No comments:

Post a Comment