Tuesday 21 May 2024

20/05/2024

A gorgeous Woodchat Shrike that graced the return trail on 19/05/2024, the first I have seen at Dungeness since one near the fish shack on 12th May 2017.
The continuing very high water levels and no islands for Terns, Waders and Gulls to nest and rest on, has meant the reserve has been very quiet avian wise, what I find more more concerning is the general lack of Hirundines and the small numbers of Reed and Sedge Warblers, where once there was a cacophony of sound emanating from the reed beds, they now appear to me to be quite quiet, I have no idea why as the habitat is still there with little change to it, I'd like to think that the birds are just late in returning but I don'r really believe that. 
The distance and heat haze made photography challenging



Devouring a Bee

It also pounced on a Lizard that it appeared to half impale and half consume
Esperia sulphurella although seemingly a common species this is the first I have found in my trap, though I have probably overlooked this minuscule micro moth in the past. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment