Friday 18 March 2022

18/03/2022

With a cool NW breeze and clear skies I wasn't expecting a great sea watch, but it was pleasant enough sitting and enjoying the sunshine for a few hours.
 07.00-10.00 joined by DW & JS
Brent Goose: 90E (20, 19, 37, 12, 2,)
Common Scoter: 6E  2W 
Red-throated Diver: 21E       1 on
Slavonian Grebe: 1E
Great-crested Grebe: 7E   13 on 
Fulmar: 2E    2W
Gannet: 52E   c30 feeding
Cormorant: present n/c
Oystercatcher: 6E
Kittiwake: 17E    6W
Black-headed Gull: present n/c
Mediterranean Gull: 2E
Common Gull: present n/c
Great Black-backed Gull: present n/c
Herring Gull: present n/c
Sandwich Tern: 10E      4W
Auk sp: 2E
Redwing: 2 in off
Harbour Porpoise: 22
Ruff at Cockles Bridge
I could only see 3 Cattle egrets today at Cockles Bridge
I was at Cockles Bridge when PT messaged to say there were 3 Glossy Ibis at Boulderwall and another 6 at Dengemarsh as well as 2 Garganey and the Spoonbill. A few minutes later I was walking along the entrance track where I could see the 3 Glossy Ibis distantly opposite the top end of Cooks Pool, as I walked a little further I saw in the distance the 6 Glossy Ibis from Dengemarsh in flight albeit very briefly as they disappeared behind the Sallows appearing to drop onto the Hay Fields. PT soon confirmed that was indeed where they were but by the time arrived they had moved on not to be seen again today.
From Dengemarsh Hide the Spoonbill and 2 drake Garganey could be seen easily, both Bittern and Bearded Tit were heard there.
Spoonbill having a little wing stretch
Drake Garganey with Spoonbill behind
5 Glossy Ibis over Boulderwall Farm
This afternoon JY messaged to say there were now 5 Glossy Ibis on Cooks Pool, in the few minutes it took me to get there they flew off but fortunately soon returned. 2 of the 5 looked like the long staying pair leading me to believe that there were 11 Glossy Ibis at Dungeness today, 6 at Dengemarsh, 3 at boulderwall and the the original pair. Another bonus while I was at Cooks Pool with JY, MH et al we watched a Swallow hawking over the ARC which I think is my earliest Swallow in the UK.
5 Glossy Ibis roosting at ARC


No comments:

Post a Comment