Thursday 10 February 2022

10/02/2022

Most of my day was taken up sorting out a puncture I carelessly got at the American Robin site, an easy fix, put on the emergency wheel while the other tyre was being fixed today, that is until I managed to get another puncture this morning! As I often say S**t happens!
Eventually late afternoon I got onto Walland where all wild swans were still insitu. On the ATC the Smew was still viewable from the causeway, the Cattle Egrets were still at Cockles Bridge.
Thanks to Liz and Paul for letting me know the Black Redstart was still in the lighthouse area, the Peregrine was on its usual pylon, also that a steady stream of Red-throated divers were moving into Rye Bay (274 in an hour.
Smew by the causeway on Tuesday
Yesterday I joined Owen and Colin on a trip to Eastbourne to see the gorgeous American Robin, it performed very well for us though my image is a little distant, not helped by the fact that I have sold my big lenses ( I'm getting to many aches and pains carrying them) and am waiting for my mirrorless camera and lens to arrive. We didn't stay to long as none of us  enjoy urban birding, especially when you are looking directly at peoples houses. Fortunately I have seen and photographed many American Robins in North America in the past, like the image below taken at Pelee in 2006. Next stop was the Eastbourne Hume's Warbler which was mobile but calling frequently. We made a short visit to Beachy Head, then moved to Cuckmere Haven, then had an enjoyable walk down to the sea, seeing numerous Rock Pipits (quite scarce at Dungeness). We also came across a Short-eared Owl sat out in the open c20mts away, that continued to sit for the ten minutes we were admiring it (also while I kicked myself for not carrying a camera with me, let alone the big lenses) it was still sitting there when we left as the the parking permit was running out of time. Lat stop was to say high to the Polegate Hooded Crow which is probably the same bird that spent some time at Greatstone last year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment