Thursday 6 January 2022

06/01/2022

A visit to The Patch first thing where I was joined by DW was disappointing despite 100s of Gulls being present we could find nothing more notable than a Mediterranean Gull among them. A Grey Wagtail was calling from inside the compound and a Black redstart was on the perimeter wall. Offshore many Auks were feeding along with some Gannets, a few Red-throated Divers were tooing and froing.
I was just on my way home for breakfast when I got a call from JY telling me an Iceland Gull was bathing on Burrowes, a few minutes late I was watching the bird which was definitely the same bird I saw at The Patch a couple of days ago, unfortunately it did not hang around, it bathed, preened then flew off over the converter station towards Dengemarsh Gully.
After brunch I drove to the bottom of the Gully stopping off on the way adding Corn and Reed Bunting, Skylark and Reed Bunting to the list. At the bottom of the Gully there were many Gulls, but the wind had picked up and the rain started making viewing difficult and uncomfortable. Thankfully I received another call from JY to say he had just located a red head Smew on the ARC from the screen, with the weather deteriorating rapidly at the Gully I was back in the car and soon ticking off the Smew, the first I have seen for nearly 2 years. A drake Goosander was also seen on the ARC but not by me or JY.
Today there were 24 Bewick Swans at Marshlands.
2w Iceland Gull on Burrowes briefly today

Red head Smew on the ARC my 100th species in the 5 mile circle this year
The Cattle egrets were still showing well at Cockles Bridge today
 

No comments:

Post a Comment