Thursday 2 December 2021

02/12/2021

                                                                       
                              1 of todays Merlins coming in off the sea with prey
I joined Sam Perfect at the fishing boats for this mornings for a very busy and chilly sea watch:
 08.15-09.30
Brent Goose: 3W
Red-breasted Merganser: 1W
Red-throated Diver: 17W    192E
Manx Shearwater: 1W (I can't recall seeing one at Dungeness before in December)
Great-crested Grebe: 4W     1E        38 around
Gannet: 6W       2E
Sandwich Tern: 1W        2E
Great skua: 2E
Guillemot: 172W
Razorbill: 1W     1E
Auk sp: 33W       93E
Blackbird: 1 in off
Song Thrush: 1 in off
Merlin: 2 in off
Yesterdays Merlin coming in off the sea with prey
When I left the beach I pulled over at the gantry end of the ARC for a scan of the lake from the car, I immediately picked out 6 Swans that were not Mutes at the Hanson end of the lake, as I reached onto the back seat of the car for a scope a police car pulled up alongside me making it clear they wanted me to move. I drove off making the mistake that the Swans must be Bewick's as I cannot recall ever seeing 6 Whoopers at Dungeness before( I will check with DW to find out the last time that many were seen here). After I had been home for breakfast I went back to the ARC and with a bit of trespass managed to see the Swans properly, I immediately realised that they were in fact Whoopers and tweeted to that effect. If the track to Hanson or better still the hide were open superb views of the Whooper Swans in good light could have been obtained.
A ropey image of the 6 Whooper Swans on the ARC today
There were very few Gulls on Burrowes this morning as the islands were black with Cormorants, the one free island did hold the adult Caspian Gull above. Also on Burrowes at least 3 Goldeneye including a drake. 8+ Cattle Egrets were scattered around the reserve per MH, but no reports of any of the Glossy Ibis.
As darkness fell over the visitor centre car park JY, SP , CT and myself heard some Bewick Swans calling, looking up 12 flew over circled Burrowes and then landed opposite Firth to roost, in the darkness ti looked liked there were 9 adults and 3 juveniles.
Great White Egret at Cockles Bridge
Polish ringed Black-headed Gull TJVV on the beach this week for the second winter running.
An adult Caspian Gull from this week on the beach
Yet another oddity at Scotney today
















No comments:

Post a Comment