Thursday 1 April 2021

01/04/2021



Gannets in the early morning gloom
Brent Geese passing this morning
06:15-09:15 with CP, PT & joined by DW 
Brent Goose: 75E
Shelduck: 4E
Shoveler: 4E
Common Scoter: 29E    12W
Red-throated Diver: 5E    1W
Great-crested Grebe: 5E  2W    3 on
Fulmar: 1E    1W
Gannet: 451E    80W
Cormorant: 127 feeding off shore first thing
Oystercatcher: 3E
Kittiwake: 1E
Little Gull: 2E
Common Tern: 2E
Mediterranean Gull: 1E
Sandwich Tern: 54E
Guillemot: 2E      1 on
Razorbill: 3E
Auk sp: 3E     13W
Peregrine: 1 around
Swallow: 2 inWheatear: 4 in off
Rock Pipit: 1 in off
Alba Wagtail: 4 in off
Linnet: 9E
Goldfinch 1 in off
Harbour Porpoise: 16+
This Rock Pipit came in off the sea and landed more or less at our feet
1 of 4 Wheatears that came in while I was sea watching
Red Fox by the sea watch hide
Greenfinches in my garden
This afternoon I went to the reserve and joined DW at the Bee mound at the VC, where I showed him my total ignorance of Bees, fortunately he knew what we were looking at. On Burrowes I got a long awaited year tick a Bar-tailed Godwit, I know they are in Lade Bay, I just haven't got round to going there with lock down. As 10 Garganey had been reported at Dungeness by bird news services, I thought ought to try and find them, I had no location but surmised the hay fields or Dengemarsh would be favourite. I drove to Springfield Bridge and made my way round the hay fields drawing a blank, when I scanned the far bank of Dengemarsh I spotted a couple of Garganey but was unable to keep my optics steady in the blasting NE wind. I found some shelter from the wind at the side of the hide, after 30 or so minutes of constant scanning along the bank I got a count of 12 Garganey 8 of them drakes, they were very mobile and weren't to happy about the Black Swan sailing past them. I believe that these birds represent the largest spring flock I have seen in the UK.
There are 9 Garganey in the above image


No comments:

Post a Comment