Sunday 17 January 2021

17/01/2021

Being unable to sea watch from The Point as the Dungeness Estate is closed to visitors, I am grateful to 
AJG for sending me his sea watch totals:
07:40-09:10
Brent Goose: 30E
Common Scoter: 3E
Red-throated diver: 278W
Gannet: 98W
Cormorant: 1,000s present
Kittiwake: 22W
Black-headed Gull: Present n/c
Mediterranean Gull: 4W
Common Gull: Present n/c
Great Black-backed Gull: Present n/c
Herring Gull: Present n/c
Auk sp: 358W
hopefully in the next few months I might be able to join him, I won't hold my breath.
The X Between Dengemarsh and the Power Station
With the weather being so awful in the last few days and not being able to sea watch, I have been very good with the pandemic restrictions, as I couldn't be bothered to go out. This morning was different with the sun shining I made my down to Dengemarsh Gully. At Springfield Bridge a flock of 20 Corn Buntings, a Great White Egret and the ever present Marsh Harriers were the highlight. In the Gully just the usual Wrens, Robins, Dunnocks and a single Cetti's Warbler. From the Gully I walked along the beach to the X
constantly checking the sea, but only seeing flocks of Cormorants tooing and froing. At the X I chucked out some stale bread, at first the Gulls ignored it but after a few minutes some of the Herring Gulls took some interest, their cries attracted more Gulls and eventually the mass of Gulls at The Patch came down and joined them, including a 2nd calendar year Iceland Gull, although it was mostly into the sun which didn't help photography wise, it did show highlight its gorgeous almost transparent primaries.
Another disappointing Harrier count at Pigwell this afternoon with just 1 bird coming to roost, a noisy Little Owl was a bonus.
2nd calendar year Iceland Gull
2nd calendar year Iceland Gull
2nd calendar year Iceland Gull
2nd calendar year Iceland Gull
2nd calendar year Iceland Gull
2nd calendar year Iceland Gull

 

No comments:

Post a Comment