Wednesday 1 July 2020

Wednesday 01/07/2020


Gull-billed Tern
It would seem that the Gull-billed Tern has now departed, I've certainly not seen it for the last 2 days nor have any of the other locals. The Black-winged Stilt is hanging on.
Gull-billed Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Gull-billed Tern
A short sea watch today was predictably disappointing, with just a handful of Gannets and Common Terns and a single Mediterranean Gull among the loafing Gulls at The Patch. It would seem that there is very low quantities of fish off Dungeness, all the Gannets flew through without trying to feed, no Sandwich Terns and no Harbour Porpoises which would normally be guaranteed this time of year. I have no idea whether the problem is sea temperature, over fishing or some other natural cause I just hope it is a one off year but I fear not.
The Black-winged Stilt was still present today
I took a long walk this afternoon around Galloways across the hay fields and reserve and back via the fields in front of my house. Highlights being several newly fledged Yellow Wagtails, 2 Cuckoo's Peregrine, Hobby, 100s each of Swifts and Sand Martins feeding over the fields and 3 Great White Egrets, the ditches were relatively quiet but I suspect the birds are busy feeding young or incubating.
Bordered Straw
The moth trap was a little better this morning , producing my first Bordered Straw of the year, 3rd Laingmaid's Yellow Underwing. first Dark Swordgrass of the year, 32 Silver Y, and 100+ Xylostella.
Laingmaid's Yellow underwing

No comments:

Post a Comment