Saturday 6 June 2020

Saturday 06/06/2010

Lydd Camp Little Owl
With a gale force westerly blowing this morning I decided on a very local walk around Brett's Marina. As I walked down Galloways Road Swifts were pouring through North East, while the local House Martins and Swallows were hawking along the sheltered lee of the camp. At the watch towers 2 Little Owls, both in favourite roosting places, also Pied Wagtails and a Green Woodpecker there. At Brett's lots of fishermen, surprisingly all socially distanced, unlike the huddle of Egyptian Geese 2 adults and 5 young. Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers along with Blackcap and Garden Warbler all still singing albeit rather half heartedly. During the lock down I could hear them all from home but now the water sports and go carts are back to normal volumes not a chance. 2 Cuckoo's were chasing around, the abundant Reed Buntings, Chaffinches and Goldfinches were all present, as were a few Greenfinches. Over the lake a couple of Common Terns with a few Black-headed Gull and Common Gulls. Nearby the pair of Hobby's appeared to change nest duties, not that there are many Dragonflys at the moment. A Marsh Harrier went out onto the ranges as did a Sparrowhawk and 2 Common Buzzards were soaring high overhead. 2 Yellow wagtails were at the dung heap. As I type this 2 Grey Herons flew out to the Heronry and many Jackdaws, Rooks, Crows and Herring Gulls are tumbling about making light of the strong winds. 
Lydd Camp Little Owl
I'd just started my dinner when I received a call from DW about a Rose-coloured Starling by Brickwall Farm, Dengemarsh, where I had been walking this morning! I quickly ate my meal and drove the few 100 yds down the road to see the bird, which was fortunately showing at the back of the field as I pulled up. Each time the flock flew up it was being harassed by a Jackdaw for some reason, which may be why the flock split up and we lost the bird, though we think it may have roosted in the bushes around the farm. I managed some poor distant images but hopefully DW managed better.






Spot the Pinky

Young Starlings have no manners!

No comments:

Post a Comment