Thursday 26 March 2020

Wednesday/Thursday 25-26/03/2020

On my now daily plod down to Dengemarsh and back (I'm not complaining because I do get to see birds). At the moment sea watching is off my daily agenda as the estate is closed to visitors, also it definitely too far for me walk, especially carrying the monster telescope.
Brown Hare
Yesterday morning I'd only walked a few yards when Hare bolted in front of me, as I neared Hookers a Bittern was booming, Reed Buntings were abundant and Cetti's Warblers were shouting from seemingly every bush.
Around Dengemarsh several Bearded Tits were calling and showing well. Marsh Harriers and Common Buzzards were displaying, at least 3 Great White Egrets were around but there was no sign of any spring migrants apart from a couple of Chiffchaffs. A Red Kite drifted in from the ranges and was seen over Lydd as it continued North. The hay fields were very disappointing as they weren't full of the hoped for Garganey and Spoonbills, i've still not seen any Hirundines. As I walked passed the dung heap there were still several White Wagtails present.
 Bearded Tit
  Bearded Tit
  Bearded Tit

 This Grey Heron flushed fro a ditch beside me
A return to the bone numbing North Easterlies today made a huge difference in the birds seen on exactly the same walk. A few Cetti's Warblers were still singing along with a couple of Chiffchaffs but little else was seen until I reached the dung heap. I was counting the White Wagtails when the call alerted me to the presence of my earliest ever Yellow Wagtail, a superb bright yellow male. While doing my BWKMO watch a Pergrine strafed the Gulls following the a tractor in the field opposite the house.
 My earliest ever Yellow Wagtail at the dung heap

 White Wagtails at the dung heap

Reed Bunting at the dung heap
Cetti's warbler by the dung heap

No comments:

Post a Comment