Tuesday 3 December 2019

Tuesday 03/12/2019

I over slept this morning so AJG did this mornings sea watch on his own and kindly sent me his numbers:
07.30-09.00
Common Scoter: 11W
Red-throated Diver: 12W   43E
Great-crested Grebe: 4W    11E
Gannet: 34E
Cormorant: 1,010 E into Lade Bay
Auk sp: 4E
I went back to Copt Point again today after going there yesterday seeing c3,00 Mediterranean Gulls and not reading a single ring, as the birds refused to land on the rocks to roost but stayed on the sea. When I arrived there were just a few birds on the sea, after short wait Mediterranean Gulls started streaming in from far out in the the channel where presumably they had been feeding, once again they all settled on the sea, after another hour some birds started to fly onto the rocks enabling me to read some rings. I had just read the fifth ring of the day a new Hungarian bird when the birds on the rocks were flushed by Dogs, there owners had even stopped to ask me what I was looking at but still let there dogs run riot all over the rocks! Needless to say I was less than happy and the dog owners learnt some Anglo Saxon!
Phonescoped image of 2 Caspian Gulls from Dennis's
This afternoon back at Dungeness on Burrowes Pit at least 9 Caspian Gulls came into roost, also a Swedish colour ringed Great black-backed Gull a new ringing scheme for me, hopefully I will have the life history of this bird very soon.
There are at least 3 Caspian Gulls including yellow ringed X86C in this image taken as the sun set 
The Slavonian Grebe was still at Scotney today, on the pit to the West of the road to Brett's batching plant. The Cattle Egrets and Great White Egrets are still present around the reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment