Sunday 17 November 2019

AJG kindly sent me his early morning sea watch numbers. You know the sea watch is poor when the Cormorants are being counted though he did find a Shag among them, still a scarce bird at Dungeness.
07.15-08.45 from the sea watch hide 
Red-throated Diver: 10W  14E
Gannet: 17E
Cormorant: 162W into Rye bay
Shag: 1W
Auk: 2 on sea
Starling: 40 in off sea
I decided to walk down to The Patch and spend an hour scanning through the gulls over the boil, but saw nothing of note.
As the bushes were being done by a KOS group I headed for Scotney, as I climbed out of the car I received a call from Ray O'reilly telling the group had just found a Pallas's Warbler in The Moat, I was soon on site but sadly the bird appears to moved on, a couple of Firecrests and Goldcrests were some compensation.
I'd just finished a late breakfast when I received another call, this time from Dave Scott who was looking at a Stone Curlew from the comfort of his lounge that was roosting with Oystercatchers on Greatstone beach, an excellent house tick for him. Once again in a few minutes I was on site, this I saw the bird even though it had been flushed by a jogger. I managed some record images of the bird which eventually settled further along the beach where it remained for the rest of the day and was seen by many admirers. 

 Stone Curlew on Greatstone Beach take straight into the light
Late afternoon I did the monthly Harrier roost count which was disappointing in the fact that just a single adult male came into roost. This was probably due to the fact that Brett's depot apparently flooded during the week, so they dug a flood alleviation channel, unfortunately the channel was straight through the roost site. Hopefully in time they will return. While I was there several Water Rails were squealing and a flock of 14 Corn Buntings dropped into nearby bushes, as I left site a Little Owl was sat on top of a barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment