Tuesday 8 October 2019

Tuesday 08/10/2019

An uninspiring hour from the sea watch hide this morning:
08.00-09.00
Brent Goose: 5W
Gannet: 139W   6E
Cormorant: 18 around
Arctic Skua: 3W    2 around
Kittiwake: 26W
Black-headed Gull: present n/c
Mediterranean Gull: 1E
Common Gull: 17W
Herring Gull: present n/c
Great Black-backed Gull: present n/c
Sandwich Tern: c40 feeding o/s
Common Tern: 3W
Guillemot: 2W
Razorbill: 10W    1E
Auk sp: 32W   1E
Swallow: 22 out
Alba Wagtail: 3 in
Meadow pipit: 42 in
Harbour Porpoise: 3+
A lone Wheatear was probably the highlight of day for me
I spent most of the day around The Desert and trapping area for very little return. The Wryneck was still present but eluded me again, I saw at least 7 Ring Ouzels this morning but they moved on very quickly, there were still a few very skulking Song Thrushes around. I came across a single Firecrest at the old feeding station and 3 Blackcaps nearby, most of yesterdays Chiffchaffs seem to have gone over night. At least there were birds overhead in the form of 200-300 each of Swallow, House Martin and Meadow Pipit, this afternoon I found a lone Wheatear and 2 Stonechats.
I have rarely bothered to photograph Robins, but this one posed for me even though Jacques or David had got to it before me. If Robins decline in the way most birds seem to be doing I need to get as many images now as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment