Friday 12 April 2019

Glossy Ibis and a Serin!

Fresh in landing on the bund next to the sea watch hide this morning
Yet another very slow cold morning watch in a bitter NE wind.
07.00-09.00 from the sea watch hide:
Shoveler: 3W
Common Scoter: 9E     24W
Red-breasted Merganser: 1E
Red-throated Diver: 2E
Great-crested Grebe: 1 on
Fulmar: 1W
Gannet: 96E   17W
Cormorant: present n/c
Oystercatcher: 6E
Little Gull: 12E
Mediterranean gull: 6E
Common Gull: 92E
Sandwich Tern: 35E.   9W
Common Tern: 8E   4 at The patch
Auk sp: 4E   2W
Swallow: 4 in
Wheatear: 1 in
Chiffchaff: 1in
A wander around The Desert and The Point found just 5 Chiffchaff, 2 Wheatears, 2 Black Redstarts, 2 Blackcaps and a Common Buzzard of note.

A WhatsApp message by Chris Gibbard saying a Glossy Ibis had been photographed in Camber, gave me a reason to leave a very quiet Dungeness. I checked the most likely pools and fields at Camber and North Point finding just a few Mediterranean Gulls and feral Geese in the sheep fields, I started to make my back and spotted a pool I hadn't checked, as I pulled into the gateway I immediately saw the Glossy Ibis, so got out the car and took a few record images before being shouted at by a farmer for blocking his entrance, I quickly moved off and found a more suitable and safer parking spot then walked back along the cycle path to view the bird, it was completely unconcerned by me and the cyclists and walkers showing very well.






I went back to the fishing boats with JTM but we didn't stay long as absolutely nothing  was passing by on the sea. A drive along the entrance track found 2 Cattle Egrets and a Little Egret by Tanners Pool, from Dennis's hide c50 Sand Martins over the lake. Next I drove to Springfield Bridge where a Garganey was showing distantly in the ditch, a Bittern was booming from the reeds and a Great white Egret was sheltering from the wind. I had just stopped by the manure heap at Dengemarsh to look at the Common Crane again when OL called to say Dave Bunney had seen a Serin with Linnets by his house. A few minutes later I was on site with OL, DB and joined by DW, JTM and DG, after a few minutes searching we pinned the Serin down getting excellent views, hopefully it will still be present tomorrow. 


Female Serin with Linnets
Serin showing its Lemon rump


Angry Wheatear for SG

1 comment: