Saturday 20 April 2019

All the long legs!

A very uninspiring sea watch this morning, the highlight being watching a Merlin chase and catch a Meadow Pipit just off shore. Then the day just got better and better.
06.00-07.30 with RW
Brent Goose: 3E
Shelduck: 1E   4W
Common Scoter: 25E.    12W
Red-throated diver: 1E
Great-crested Grebe: 3 around
Fulmar: 4E.  1W
Gannet: 66E.  18W
Cormorant: 38 around
Merlin: 1 in
Oystercatcher: 1E. 3W
Great Skua: 1E
Mediterranean Gull: 38E
Common Gull: 37E
Little Tern: 3E
Sandwich Tern: 85E
Common Tern: 14E
Carrion Crow: 1 in
Grey Seal: 1
Harbour Porpoise: 5
Willow Warbler at the observatory this morning
After I left the observatory to get some breakfast, I was driving past Boulderwall when I spotted a familiar looking white blob out in the field by Cooks Pool, I pulled into the muddy lay by and got my scope onto the blob to reveal an immature Spoonbill, I turned the car round and drove into the reserve to get a better look.
The Spoonbill with Plodland in the background
From Cooks Pool the Spoonbill was still distant but nicely lined up to get it onto the house year list.
As I was watching the Spoonbill 2 Black-winged stilts flew into Cooks Pool stopping just long enough for MH, DG and OL to see them before disappearing towards Dengemarsh.
We made our way to Denge Marsh to look for them without success. 
 Greenland Wheatear
Around the hay fields we saw a handsome Greenland Wheatear, 5 Cattle Egrets and Yellow Wagtails, we also heard Bearded Tits, but there was no sign of yesterdays 5 Garganey.
1 of 5 Garganey at Denge Marsh yesterday.
We had just got back to Denge Marsh hide when a call fro PB alerted us to a Red Kite flying around the back of the power station, we managed distant views of the Kite and also saw a Hobby my earliest ever.
Bittern over Tanners Pool
Making our way back to Boulderwall a Bittern flew past us, also Marsh Harriers and Common Buzzards were seen.
After my late  breakfast I spent some scoping the skies in front my house for raptors. Common Buzzards were plentiful, a Peregrine flew over and at least 3 Marsh Harriers were seen, I watched a Red Kite soaring over Denge Marsh for several minutes, a Grey Heron and Little Egret flew into the nearby Heronry, I picked out a grey blob which was the Common Crane, also the Spoonbill and at least 3 of the Cattle Egrets though all rather distant. A phone call from PB and CT alerted me to the Black Winged Stilts flying towards the Go Cart track allowing me to add the Stilts to my garden list, not a bad haul from an hour of sky watching from the garden.
 1 of many Yellow wagtails at Scotney
I went along to Scotney in the hope of relocating the Stilts and had just reached the farm when OL text me that 6 Spoonbills had flown into the back lakes. I made my way there seeing lots of Yellow Wagtails and Mediterranean Gulls and few each of Corn Bunting, Tree Sparrow and Reed Bunting, arriving a few minutes later the Spoonbills were gone leaving 28 Avocet, 4 Redshank and a couple of Dunlin. After a couple of minutes either 3 of the original 6 or 3 more Spoonbills flew in from Camber.
3 of the 6 Spoonbills at Scotney 
Late afternoon Fiona Grant  messaged me after she relocated the Black Winged Stilts at the southern end of the ARC where they showed very well with a Great White Egret. 







Great White Egret 

Yesterdays Spoonbill after it flew off S.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment