Saturday 2 February 2019

First Smew of the Winter and A Crane!

First thing this morning the 2 Whooper Swans flew into into the Kale field at Cockles Bridge after spending the night on Cooks Pool, they returned to Cooks Pool at Dusk.
A chilly walk along the front of Scotney saw very little of note, the usual 20+ Dunlin, 8 Redshank, 3 Ringed Plovers, 5 Curlew, c50 Golden Plover and c100 Lapwing. With the cold weather I thought there might have been a Woodcock or 2 in the places I have found them before but no luck. At the fishing boats there was no change from the last few days except for fewer Razorbills. 
I went back to the reserve after hearing news of a drake Smew on the reserve, I cant believe I twitched a Smew at Dungeness! Many thanks to Pam for braving the cold walking around the reserve to find it on the New Excavations, hopefully if it stays it will settle down and allow some images. I must admit I didn't think we were going see a Smew this winter on the peninsular.  
1 of the 3 Cattle Egrets still present
Early afternoon one of the three Cattle Egrets was being very showy near Boulderwall. This bird is often on its own as the other 2 seem to chase it away but tolerate a Little Egret hanging around with them. 2 Great White Egrets were nearby at the coral. 

Common Crane at the end of Cooks Pool
Mid afternoon I was in the VC with RW & SM having a warm up while waiting for the Gulls to come into roost, when a visitor came in saying he'd seen a Common Crane from Cockles Bridge and showed us a photograph of it on his phone, needless to say we quickly headed off towards Cockles Bridge, but only had to go as far as Cooks Pool as the bird had already relocated there. I'm sorry I only know the finders name as @naturebotherer on twitter, so thank you for sharing so promptly.
The Crane was quite flighty, it flew to the hay fields for a while before heading back towards Boulderwall, I think it eventually settled for the night in the coral area.
 Common Crane over the hay fields illuminated by the red glow of the setting sun 


No comments:

Post a Comment