Thursday 29 March 2018

Another new Glaucous Gull!

07.35-09.00 from the sea watch hide:
Brent Goose: 207 up
Common Scoter: 58 up
Red-throated Diver: 47up
Great-crested Grebe: 6 up
Fulmar:1 down
Gannet: 71 up
Arctic Skua: 1 up DP
Kittiwake: 25 up 
Sandwich Tern: 8 up  8 down
Auk sp: 104 up
Harbour Porpoise: 6+
The point was very quiet today with a distinct lack of Firecrests and Black Redstarts but still a a few Reed Buntings.
The Black-necked Grebes were still at south end of the ARC, no sign of the Smew on Tanners or White Wagtails on Cooks Pool.  
 Sparrowhawk on my garden fence lunchtime, taken through a window.
13.30-14.45 from the fishing boats with MH & CP
Common Scoter: 19 up
Red-throated Diver: 20 up  1 down
Great-crested Grebe: 28 around
Fulmar: 2 down
Gannet: 11 up
Oystercatcher: 5 up
Sandwich Tern: 57 up  14 down
Guillemot: 4 around
Auk sp: 11 up
Harbour Porpoise: 4
 Snow white juvenile Glaucous Gull
Late afternoon as the contractors building the bund at The Patch had finished for the day, I decided to have a brisk walk down there and check the Gulls despite the deteriorating weather. As it was raining I didn't take my camera, which was a decision I regretted within moments of going into the hide. As I opened a viewing slat the first thing I saw was very large all white Gull, a quick look at the bird in the scope ruled out albino Herring Gull & Iceland Gull, I could see it had a dark eye making it a juvenile Glaucous Gull. With no camera I tried phone scoping it without success, how people mange to get good phone scoping images is beyond me. With the rain battering down I went back to the car to collect my camera getting a soaking, hoping the bird would stay until I got back which fortunately it did. The weather made for poor images, so hopefully it still be around tomorrow.


Wednesdays 1w Caspian Gull at The Patch

No comments:

Post a Comment