Monday 28 October 2013

Disappointment after the storm!

First thing this morning with the wind still howling, bringing along the occasional shower I parked up on the beach near the fishing boats for some sea watching. The sea was relatively calm on this sheltered side of The Point looking into Lade and Hythe Bay. Sea watching was precisely all I did as apart from a few Gulls and Cormorants nothing of note was moving at sea.
Marooned in the ARC car park
After the disappointment of the sea watch I pulled into an empty ARC car park to find a 1w Great Crested Grebe stumbling around it. After a bit of chase I managed to catch it, then released it into the nearest Tower Pit, where it promptly dived, then surfaced c15mts away and started preening seemingly none the worse for its adventure.
During this visit to Hanson The Glossy Ibis was still present feeding in the choppy waters, also 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Greenshanks, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Bittern. I spent some time in the Willow Trail trying to locate the Tit flock and hopefully yesterdays Yellow Browed Warbler with no luck just 2 Redwings flushed from the path. 
A stormy ARC from Hanson
 On Burrowes 4+ Great White Egrets, 10 Little Egrets, a fly by Bittern  and very obliging Great Crested Grebe from Scott Hide.
Calmer waters in front of Scott Hide
Mid afternoon another attempted sea watch was mercifully cut short with news from Marcus Lawson that he had found an elusive Pallas's Warbler in the Willow Trail. After much staring into bushes and straining of my deaf ears without success and the light starting to go, Marcus waved me over and I managed the briefest of views of the bird. In all honesty though all I really saw was a small phylloscopus warbler, hopefully better views tomorrow in lighter winds. While looking for the Pallas's Warbler, the Penduline Tit was heard but not seen several times by those present who aren't acoustically challenged (which means I didn't hear it). 

No comments:

Post a Comment